11.19.2014: Platonic Ideal

planters

Thanks to a number of distressingly potent solvents, I finished making the Platonic solid planters I modeled back in September. I started off by 3D printing the five solids out of ABS, and then suspended each solid in an acetone vapor bath to melt the surface plastic and smooth out the finish.

preABS

The printed planters pre-acetone bath.

After the first coat or two of spray paint, I realized that while the acetone had worked fairly well, it hadn’t completely smoothed out the deeper ridges in the surface — it had just made those ridges glossy.

I considered re-doing the vapor bath, but, dreading the thought of inhaling more nail polish remover, I decided to switch to sanding the faces with increasingly fine-grit sandpaper in between thin coats of spray paint. This worked beautifully; it took forever and I might have sacrificed more than a few neurons to the cause, but the surface finish was smooth and matte and still preserved the sharp edges of the solids.

dodecahedron

I filled the planters with some white phalaenopsis orchids, and now they’ve got pride of place on my windowsill. The most surprising thing about this whole process is that the tetrahedron actually ended up looking…well, pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. Maybe it’s not quite the very worst of the lot.

tetrahedron

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s